St. James’s parishioners have existing relationships and leadership roles with several charitable organizations in the Greater Hartford area, and help connect volunteers from St. James’s to participate in annual and ongoing activities.
- MLK Day of Service is a national event held every January, where Americans across the country come together for a day of service, picking up the baton handed to us by past generations and carrying forth their efforts. St. James’s participates by providing volunteers to many of the local activities organized in the Greater Hartford area.
- Church by the Pond is literally a church without walls. Services are held outdoors in Bushnell Park at 2 p.m. every Saturday, rain or shine, hot or cold, sleet or snow. Church by the Pond is a church service of Christ Church Cathedral. The St. James’s community joins in this activity by preparing lunches and participating in the Eucharist at Bushnell Park.
- The Episcopal Church in Connecticut established the Bishops' Fund for Children in 1994 to enhance awareness of the plight of children at risk throughout Connecticut and to raise funds to underwrite social service programs that aid these children in our urban, suburban and rural neighborhoods. The St. James’s community provides volunteers to help with the Bishop’s 5K Run in May.
- A Hand Up is a West Hartford-based non-profit group that helps formerly homeless people in the Greater Hartford region. The group provides donated furniture, kitchen supplies, small appliances, and more, to help ease the transition back into a home again. Volunteer opportunities range from weekend delivery to staffing the warehouse on weekdays.
- The Hartford Catholic Worker community has housed the homeless, fed the hungry, provided furniture for the poor, and worked with the children in a disadvantaged neighborhood in North Hartford since 1993. Their work is done from the heart because their community is not funded through any church or government. Volunteer opportunities are wide-ranging.